Every dog within the City limits over six months in age must be licensed with the City of Cameron. You must provide proof of a current rabies vaccination which was administered by a licensed veterinarian.
All dog tags are due and must be renewed by January 31 of each year at a cost of $5 per tag. A late fee of $3 per month is applied to each dog tag after that date.
By having a dog tag on your pet, you are ensured your dog will be returned as soon as contact can be made. This process not only saves your pet from the stress of being placed at the animal shelter, it can save the owner money as there are fees incurred when pets are housed at the shelter.
City of Cameron Ordinance 5-97
states than an animal must be under the owner’s control. This does not mean the animal must be on a leash. As long as your pet is on your property, it may be without a leash. Once your dog or cat leaves your property and is unrestrained, it is considered to be at-large and the owner is subject to citation.
The City of Cameron Code Section 5-102
prohibits the possession of Pit Bulls within the City limits of Cameron. The City of Cameron defines Pit Bull as:
- Bull Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Any dog of mixed breed with the dogs above
- Any dog with the appearance or characteristics of any dog listed above
Cameron citizens are also not allowed to keep or harbor dangerous animals such as:
- Lions, tigers, bears, leopards, ocelots, jaguars, cheetahs, margays, mountain lions, Canada lynx, bobcats, jaguarundi, hyenas, wolves, and coyotes
- Nonhuman primates, raccoons, skunks, and foxes
- Any deadly, dangerous, or poisonous reptile
- Any non-domestic cat, wild/domestic cat hybrid, wolf/dog hybrid, or poisonous animal
- Any other animal which is inherently dangerous because of past behavior, violations of the Code, or the nature of the animal in relation to persons or domestic animals
For specific information and details on dangerous animals, see the City of Cameron Code Section 5-161.